Glossary Entry: StorageManager
The yet unimplemented StorageManager is an object that among other things gives the ZODB a root object. Right now a root is the object with an oid of
0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 in a storage. (please feel free to correct me;) It can also merge the content from other storages by holding the locations of objects and fetching them from a given storage when their oid is asked for.
Startup thought: You could pass a command to the storage manager at start-up. If no command is passed then var/Data.fs would be the default root path/storage.
- Storages can be visible inside Zope
- This is seems similar to a Racks situation in the ZPatterns framework.
- You can tell where a given object is stored
- Storages can't be visable inside Zope
- Storage should be transparent
- Let storages manage what they are good at
- How do you put a given obejct in a given storage?
- I'll bet you could put this into ZPatterns and have the StorageManager offer up available storages for the instances. How is that different from what is proposed now?
- Maybe a FileRack would do it.