Five release fest: 1.2.4, 1.3.5, 1.4c and 1.5b released!
What is Five
Five is a Zope 2 product that allows you to integrate Zope 3 technologies into Zope 2, today. Among others, it allows you to use Zope 3 interfaces, ZCML-based configuration, adapters, browser pages (including skins, layers, and resources), automated add and edit forms based on schemas, object events, as well as Zope 3-style i18n message catalogs.
We've tried to keep the Five experience as close to Zope 3 as possible, so this means that what you learn while using Five should also be applicable to Zope 3, and viceversa.
More information about Five can be found on our website, http://codespeak.net/z3/five/.
About Five 1.4 and 1.5
Five 1.4 and 1.5 are feature releases. They are basically equivalent except that Five 1.4 works with Zope 2.9/3.2 (only) and 1.5 works with Zope 2.10/3.3 (only). Five 1.5 will be included in Zope 2.10.
Most important features are:
- Added viewlet and content provider support. A big thanks to Alec Mitchell and his helpers at the Archipelago sprint for making this possible.
- Add zope.formlib support. Please see ``doc/formlib.txt`` for more information. A big thanks to Jan-Wijbrand Kolman for this.
- Port zope.testbrowser to Zope 2. You can now use Products.Five.testbrowser.Browser in functional tests. Much thanks to Brian Sutherland.
- Add python-packages-as-zope-products support which basically allows for using any python package as a zope product without it having to live in Products/. Much thanks to Rocky Burt for this.
Zope 2.10 and Five 1.5 are also a big milestone in the convergence of Zope 2 and Zope 3, for it is no longer necessary to mark classes with five:traversable and five:defaultViewable to enable Zope 3 view lookup functionality. A big thanks goes to Lennart Regebro and Michael Kerrin for making this possible!
Changes in Five 1.2.4/1.3.5 and 1.4c (compared to 1.4b)
- Made sure that events are fired as expected in add and edit forms.
- Made sure LocalizerLanguages class normalized language codes to xx-yy, instead of xx_YY or xx-YY.
- Fixed a problem with the new traversal look-up order and the root object (OFS.Application.Application).
About the Zope 3 Base
Five is part of the Zope 3 Base project, which aims to offer an approachable area for developers of Zope 3 related software. More about the Zope 3 base and its projects can be found on the project website, http://codespeak.net/z3/.